In George We Trust
A(nother) blog about the most storied franchise in sports
Tuesday, May 16, 2006
Warning...
...this post has absolutely nothing to do with baseball or the Yankees - with the exception of the Weekly Poll and minor league updates at the end. I'm going to commission IGWT to vent some frustration about a weird and unexpected evening I had last night, so if you don't want to bother reading about my pathetic personal life, I suggest you head elsewhere.

So I'm sitting in my apartment last night with my wonderful girlfriend Amanda, watching her beloved Padres lose a heartbreaker to the D-Backs when my phone rings. I recognize the number, but I can't remember who's it is, so I answer. It's an ex-girlfriend of mine (I won't give her real name, but I'll refer to her as Kate cause it's easy to type) from about a year ago. She's in town and was wondering if I wanted to meet up for dinner and catch up. I agree, and I tell Amanda I'm going to meet up with an old friend for dinner - which is the truth.

Now, it may not be evident from the blog, but I'm an extremely friendly and altruist person; I always put others first, to the point that it's a fault, and I haven't met a person I can't be friends with yet. It's been a little over a year since Kate and I split up, and over than time I've changed a bunch like I'm sure most of us have. I've lost a nice amount of weight, I bought a new car (mines an '05, not an '06) and I've got a fresh set of sleeves that are less than 9 months old (which I have to say I wish I had gotten them so much earlier, cause they are total chick magnets. If you wear a long-sleeve button-down shirt and cuff the sleeve so about 3 inches of the ink shows, it kicks their libidos into overdrive for whatever reason. It's good for my ego). So I take a shower and get dressed to kill (you know how it goes with an ex, you have to show them what they're missin'), which of course makes Amanda a bit curious. I tell her nothing's up - which is the absolute truth - and we''ll get together and go out after I get home from dinner. She concurs and we head out.

I drop Amanda off back at her crib and head to dinner. I pull up to the restaurant and I see Kate with some dude hanging all over her. I'm thinking to myself "great, how awkward is this going to be with her new boyfriend here." Well we head into the restaurant, get a table and order drinks and everything when it comes to light that this schlep is in fact her husband and not her boyfriend, which is uber-awkward. I didn't want to be a prick and mention anything Kate and I had done in past - you know, rehash old memories - so I just kept it simple; how's it going, how's your family and your hot mother (Kate's mom was a total MILF, I used to joke that every time Kate frustrated me I would take it out on her mother's ass that night), blah blah blah. Kate brings up some stuff like "remember the time we went to this place, or that place, or did this, or did that," stuff like that, which I can see clearly infuriates her husband.

I dated Kate for about 14 months, so for a long time she was a huge part of my life and I cared alot about her, but I can tell when she isn't happy and she looked it last night. Her husband was a complete jerk, trying to boss her around and shit which just ain't cool. We finish dinner and are outside in the parking lot getting ready to say goodbye when Kate asks her husband to give her a minute alone with me - which for me was like "uhhh...can't I just go home please." He gets all pissed off and says whatever she had to say to me she could say in front of him, so she says "fine, I wanted to tell him that I miss him and I wish I could find someone who treats me as great as he did." I'm like "that's it, it was great to catch up, but I 'm out like a fat kid in dodgeball."

I start to walk away when her husband grabs me by the arm and tells me he's not "finished with me." I'm from Brooklyn, so I'm genetically predisposed to having a short fuse, but I manage to warn him to let go of my arm before I pound him into the pavement. He lets go, and Kate grabs him and they walk away. I get in my car and I'm just trying to decifer what the hell happened. I drive off and pick up Amanda, hoping to end the night in a "happier way."

She gets in my car and says "we need to have 'The Talk'." Crapola. "The Talk" is what Amanda and I have come to refer to as the inevitable conversation we must have about what happens between us after graduation and I head home (meaning back east) and she heads home to San Diego. We've done a good job of keeping it on the back burner, but it's always been in the back of my mind, and I'm sure it's been in the back of her's. Amanda is great, she's everything I could possibly ask for in a woman; she's smart, funny, beautiful and best of all, she loves baseball. She manages to bring out the best in me and we get along great; we've never had a single little spat or fight or anything. Plus I met her in church so her folks think I'm a saint. Basically, she's way out of my league.

We get back to my place, and she tells me she was kind of upset that I went to see my ex-girlfriend (which my roommate was nice enough to tell her, thanks jerkoff), but I assured her there was nothing to it and that Kate actually brought her husband. She's like "fine, whatever, but we need to talk." We start talking and I tell her than there is no way in hell I'll do a long-distance relationship, and there's no way I'm staying in California. She looks at me and says "well you can't just expect me to leave the place I've lived my whole life so I could move back east with you."

Then it happened. I did something every man on the planet has been guilty of at least once. I opened my mouth despite the glorious absence of a thought process, meaning I talked without thinking. Without missing a beat I said to her "not for nothing, but I never asked you move back east with me." She got the "you son of a bitch, you're going to burn in hell" look and demanded I take her home. After some useless attempts at apologizing, I oblige and take her home. In the car my phone rings and it's Kate. I pick up the phone but I'm short, trying to get rid of her (picking up was a big mistake looking back on it). I say I had a good time at dinner but I need to go. Kate cuts me off and says she apologizes about her husband, and that she meant what she said about missing me. So if course, the fine acoustical work done by the Audi engineers allows Kate's voice on the other end of the phone to radiate through my car, just enough so Amanda could hear what she said. Amanda looks at me then promptly reminds me that I said nothing happened at dinner.

I told her everything about dinner, from the surprisingly tasty potato skins to Kate's asshole husband, but she's still furious with me thanks to my big mouth. Amanda lives in a sorority house, which apparently comes equipped with telepathetic powers because when we pulled up all her sorority sisters were giving me the evil eye, practically hissing and spitting at me. Amanda gets out of the car and tells me she had a great 5 months with me and wishes things could have turned out differently, but she never wants to see or hear from me again after the way I treated her that night, which apparently must have been pretty bad because she was fuming.

So now, the morning after, I'm fighting the urge to call Amanda and god knows I can't stop by her place to try to talk to her cause her sisters will cast some evil sorority spell on me before I reach the front gate. If you bothered to read this and have any ideas about how to rectify the situation, please, enlighten me.

Weekly Poll: An absolute landslide in last week's poll, as JB Cox received over 82% of the votes; confirming his status as the Yanks best relief pitching prospect. I figured Colter Bean would get more than 6 votes with all the Beaners out there. TJ Beam got shut out, ironic considering that's what he's been doing to opposition this year (hasn't given up an ER since April 7th, his first game of the season). The new question is up, and as always, screw you for voting (just kidding, wanted to see if you were paying attention. Thanks, really, I do appreciate it).

Down on the Farm:

Triple-A Columbus (6-4 loss to Norfolk, Eric Duncan sat out again)
Danny Garcia: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 K
Jason Conti: 0 for 4, 1 BB, 2 K
Robert Stratton: 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 RBI, 2 K
Carlos Pena: 2 for 5, 1 R, 2 K
Tommy Phelps: 3.2 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 5 BB, 1 K - plunked Lastings Milledge twice
Jorge DePaula: 3.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K - 25 of 34 pitches were strikes
Matt Smith: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K

Double-A Trenton (8-0 win over Portland)
Bronson Sardinha: 3 for 5, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI - doing his best to shed the "first round bust" moniker
Omir Santos: 3 for 4, 2 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1K
Vincent Faison: 1 for 4, 2 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 2 K
JT Stotts: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI
Steven White: 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 3 HB - hey, if they won't back off the plate...
JB Cox: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K - nails in the coffin, he's allowed 1 ER in his last 19.1 IP (5-0 GB/FB ratio)

High-A Tampa (3-2 win over Vero Beach in 11 innings)
Brett Gardner: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 BB
Cody Ehlers: 1 for 3, 1 K
Matt Carson: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 K
Marcos Vechionacci: 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 CS
Tim Battle: 0 for 3, 2 BB, 1 K
Ben Himes: 2 for 5, 1 2B, 1 3B, 2 K
PJ Piliterre: 2 for 4, 1 RBI, 1 K - walk-off sac fly
Jeff Marquez: 5.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 4 K - ERA still above 5.00
Phil Thorp: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
Jeff Kennard: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K

Low-A Charleston (8-6 win over Savannah)
Austin Jackson: 4 for 5, 1 RBI
Reegie Corona: 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K
Jose Tabata: 0 for 3, 1 R, 2 BB, 1 K - reached base safely in 24 straight
CJ Henry: 0 for 4, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 E (throwing) - first hitless game since he came of the DL
Chris Malec: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB
Jon Poterson: 2 for 4, 2 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI
Garrett Patterson: 4 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 4 K, 1 HB - 8-0 GB/FB ratio
Jim Conroy: 3 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 6 K, 1 HB

Mindblowing Jose Tabata stat-of-the-day: When was the last time Tabata went more than 7 ABs without a hit? It must have been last year, cause he hasn't done it this year.

That's the end of the MBJTSOTD, but it sure was fun while it lasted.
19 Comments:
Anonymous Dave D said...
Call Kate back :)

Blogger Joseph P. said...
Normally, my advice would be to resist calling with every fiber of your being. But you said she's a smart girl, and smart girls are infinitely more difficult to figure out than stupid ones. She's also in a sorority (a sorostitute, as the saying goes), which further complicates matters.

Personally, I'd wait a few days. Her girlfriends are undoubtedly bashing you to pieces now, so you might as well wait for the dust to settle before making any kind of move. Maybe a text message or something simple in the interim.

Then again, I'm shitty with women.

On an unrelated note...sleeves? I'm fuckin jealous. I've talked about sleeving up my arms (I have a tatt on each shoulder that are ripe for expansion), but have always pussed out or been way too broke to consider it. If you have pics of them, you should post them on the site.

Anonymous Dave D said...
oh wait, so sleeves are just the tatted undershirts? Like these?
http://www.sleevesclothing.com/

I'm old.

Blogger Mike A said...
I'll post pictures of 'em as soon as I venture out into the 1980's and buy a camera.

I've got a friend who's co-owner of a shop, so he did them for me on the cheap.

My intention was to get my right forearm done and only that, but before you know it...

Like I said, the women love'em.

Blogger Mike A said...
Mine are real dave, they won't shrink in the laundry.

Anonymous dave d said...
ah OK, didn't know sleeves was slang for tats. Now I know. Either way, call Kate back, she wants to party. Besides, and I'm being serious, getting back with your chick won't do you any good if you really are moving soon. You'll just end up hurting her later. And this way you won't feel guilty about banging girls back here in NYC.

Blogger Mike A said...
I hope you didn't think I was being a smartass or sarcastic or anything dave, I didn't mean to come off like that if I did.

Anonymous dave d said...
oh no, I really didn't know sleeves were tats. I was being serious, I don't know jack about that stuff, don't have a single one on me.

Anonymous RichYF said...
Okay mike, first of all, I disagree with the notion to get back with Kate entirely. She's obviously missing what she once had, but she probably doesn't deserve you (I have no idea why you two broke up to begin with. If it was her choice, then you're better off.). As for Amanda, well you have a few decisions to make. How do you really feel about her? She's upset because you basically told her, "it's been fun, but umm...I'm going to go back home, nice life." Obviously, you know this. You have to figure out what you really want to do. Are you willing to change your life for her? You said she's way out of your league. Is she worth all the trouble? If you aren't willing to go out of your way for her (which I understand), then maybe it's time for things to end. If she's everything you say she is, then you need to get her. You can't let her go.

As for the approach to talking to her, I'm not sure how much she cares or how stubborn she is. Obviously it's going to be your move. If you want to prove to her that she is worth it, you have to go to the house. You have to let ALL of the girls stare you down. You have to walk past them to her room to show her that she's absolutely worth it. She deserves at least that. The phone call and a "meet me outside" isn't going to cut it.

Anonymous Steve said...
Hey Mike. Love your blog, btw.

Umm... stay away from Kate. She sounds really immature. Her husband may have been a dick not because he's a dick, but it sounds like she was treating him like crap. She definitely should have told you her husband was coming; then you could have brought Amanda.

Who, by the way, sounds way too jealous to be trustworthy (I've found that the girls who are the most jealous and untrusting are those who can't be tursted). If you truly can't do a long-distance relationship, then it doesn't matter how great she is, it's over anyway. If she's important enough to you that you could deal with some distance, then call her up ASAP and apologize like crazy.

You should flat-out say that you had a crappy time, were in a bad mood, and spoke without thinking. If she continues this, then say "I've let a lot of stuff from you slide" (which I'm sure is true) "don't expect me to be perfect. If she's out of your league and knows it, you're in trouble. If she just loves you, then you should be fine.

I've found that total, blunt honesty work really, really well with the girls I've dated. When it doesn't work, I eventually learn they were crap anyway. Listen to how girls talk to each other - it's always what they want to hear. Blunt and total honesty throws them off guard, and for the best among them, it's appreciated.

Anonymous baileywalk said...
Dude, I'm much more interested in your sleeves, honestly. I was thinking about doing the same, but have only done some preliminary research as to what I'd actually put on my arms. What did you go with? Kind of a big decision.

Anyway, no offense, but this (the dating thing) is really your fault. What the hell are you going out with your ex for in the first place? This wasn't some chick you banged a few times and became friends with. She was a big part of your life. And if you are going to see her, you have to tell your girlfriend it's where you're going. You were shady from the start. Your current girlfriend has every right to be mad and suspicious.

As for the new girlfriend, it's easy: just apologize. Get her on the phone, or wait for her outside the sorority, and tell her that you were wrong for going out to see an ex, you didn't mean to insult her about moving east, etc. Be a man and own up to some mistakes. If she still wants nothing to do with you -- hey, take your tats and move on. It's all you can do.

Blogger Joseph P. said...
Dude, Mike, I just had this idea.


Go to here sorority house with a boom box. Hold it over your head and blare "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel.

I'm sure that's NEVER been done before.

Anonymous Matt Y. said...
Mike - great blog. I love the highlights from the minors. Saves me the time of looking up the stats on my own. I'm lazy like that.

As for the woman situation, let me preface the following by explaining that I'm 35, married, and have two kids.

That said - play ball. You don't need Kate or Amanda. Kate has baggage and you want none of that right now. I agree with the guy above: she's probably ragging her husband the way he does to her.

Even though I haven't met Kate, I know her type. She's never happy with what she has. The grass is always greener. Thank God that you didn't marry her.

As for Amanda, if it was meant to be, then it would have worked out between you two. However, it sounds like the long-distance thing wasn't going to work, so this episode was an excuse for her to end it.

What do you do now? Play ball - now - because I have a secret for you: college will soon end and so will the plentiful opportunities to meet hotties. Once college is over and you're thrown into the working world, chicks will want to know what you do, how much you make, etc. In other words, the real word is not the target-rich environment that college is.

Enjoy your last days in college. If at all possible, stay another year.

If not, go home and booze it up with your buddies. You've got your whole life to get married and have kids.

Blogger Mike A said...
Damn, I didn't expect this to turn into such a big soap opera...

I know what I'm going to do, since it appears everyone is interested, I'll update you tomorrow.

Joe P - Although the Peter Gabriel gig is tempting, I'm going to have to pass

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Try and smooth it over so you can try and bang the both of them. See if you can get them both in bed at the same time. That should be your new adventure. You can at least try and introduce the idea, Kate doesn't think you've turned into A-Hole, Amanda already thinks your an A-Hole...so in my book you've got nothing to lose.

BTW, I don't think your an A-Hole...love the blog and minor league stuff. Keep it up and enjoy life....

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hey man, tough call and depends on how much you like this girl (Amanda).

I did a long-distance thing for *nine* years. Now, we were unique. But it can work if you want it - anything can if you try hard enough.

If Amanda doesn't deserve that devotion, then last night was a good thing.

Basically, she was asking "Are we committed to each other? And will we be?".

How you answer that frames everything else.

The Kate chick has some serious issues, and you should be glad she's in your past.

Blogger Chuck M. said...
I moved mine back east from Michigan to New Jersey (she's from Pittsburgh) and married her, and we're living happily ever after, so far - four years later. So, I don't know if that helps.

Anonymous Sean McNally said...
Go to here sorority house with a boom box. Hold it over your head and blare "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel.

John Cusack called, he said this was a bad idea. Please tell me I'm not the only reader who is old enough to remember this.

Anonymous Steve said...
Mike - on the current GF, one question: Do you love her?

If you know the answer, then you know what to do.

Some rights of this page's plain text stuffs are reserved for the author.
The Template is generated via PsycHo and is Licensed.