In George We Trust
A(nother) blog about the most storied franchise in sports
Sunday, April 23, 2006
From the Boss to King George
Good article on Steinbrenner by Bill Madden:


In a rare exclusive interview, the Yankee Boss told the Daily News he is both "gratified" and "humbled" at the Yankees becoming the first baseball team to be worth $1 billion according to the latest financial team evaluations by Forbes magazine. Not bad for an original investment of $8.7 million.

"This is all very gratifying," Steinbrenner said by phone from Tampa. "I'm truly humbled. I've been very lucky in life, and more than anything this is the product of surrounding yourself with good people. That's always been my philosophy. I've had a lot of good people with me the whole time."
...
"I re-member," said Steinbrenner, "when I told my father I had bought the Yankees, he said to me: 'You're better off sticking to shipbuilding.'"
...
"I could have never envisioned all this," Steinbrenner said. "All I knew when I went into [then-CBS chairman] Bill Paley's office was that I wanted a baseball team."

Down on the Farm:

Triple-A Columbus (3-2 loss to Toledo)
Kevin Thompson: 1 for 4, 1 R, 2 K
Melky Cabrera: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI
Eric Duncan: 1 for 1, 3 BB, 1 CS - BA up to .271, but still no HR in 16 games
Matt Childers: 5.2 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 K - lowered his ERA to 10.91

Double-A Trenton (10-3 win over Connecticut, holy crap - 2 wins in a row)
Justin Christian: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 3 SB
Bronson Sardinha: 2 for 4, 2 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K
Shelley Duncan: 1 for 5, 1 2B, 3 RBI, 2 K
JT Stotts: 3 for 4, 2 R, 1 2B, 3 RBI
Steven White: 7 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 K - impressive yet again

High-A Tampa (6-5 loss to Clearwater)
Brett Gardner: 1 for 2, 1 R, 3 BB, 1 K, 1 SB
Marcos Vechionacci: 0 for 4, 1 BB, 1 K - struggling badly, BA down to .193
Hector Made: 2 for 5, 1 RBI
Josh Schmidt: 2 IP, 2 IP, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 K

Low-A Charleston (8-7 win over Kannapolis)
Austin Jackson: 2 for 4, 2 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 CS
Mario Holmann: 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 K, 2 SB, 1 CS
Jose Tabata: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 K, 1 HBP
Reegie Corona: 2 for 3, 2 R, 1 3B, 1 RBI
Bryan Villalona: 5 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 4 K - 8-3 GB/FB raito
Some rights of this page's plain text stuffs are reserved for the author.
The Template is generated via PsycHo and is Licensed.