In George We Trust
A(nother) blog about the most storied franchise in sports
Wednesday, April 26, 2006
Boss: "Me, worry? Ha!"
King George isn't worried (who said he was?):

"I'm not worried about my team," Steinbrenner told a few reporters as he arrived at the Stadium hours before a 9-1 victory over the Devil Rays.

Just a few minutes after the demolition was complete, The Boss departed in a private car. But not before some more comments.

"It was a good win," he said. "Everybody's hitting, and they're doing well."

Asked about Mike Mussina, who allowed only one run on four hits over six-plus innings, Steinbrenner answered, "He was great. Moose carried us, and we did the rest. It was a good feeling."


Potential draft target Luke Hochevar finally caught on with an Indy team:

Hochevar has a deal to pitch for the Fort Worth Cats of the independent American Association, which would give him the opportunity to make six starts in front of scouts before this June's draft. Hochevar remains eligible to sign with the Dodgers until a week before this year's draft, but after negotiations took an ugly turn last fall that seems unlikely.

You know, of all 750 players on Major League 25-man rosters right now, I'd have though Moose was the most likely to not be affected by the whole "contract year" phenomenon, but he's proving me wrong. And I love it.

Down on the Farm:

Triple-A Columbus
(Game 1: 7-3 loss to Indianapolis, this was the completion of the Monday's game that was suspended due to a power outage)
Thompson/Pena/Cabrera: combined 0 for 9, 2 BB, 4 K - error for Thompson
Russ Johnson: 2 for 4, 2 R, 2 HR, 2 RBI
Eric Duncan: 1 for 2, 1 K
Koyie Hill: 1 for 3, 1 2B 1 PB
Felix Escalona: 1 for 3, 1 2B
Matt DeSalvo: 4 IP, 1 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 5 K, 1 WP - only 50 of 101 pitches were strikes
(Game 2: rained out, no makeup date announced)

Double-A Trenton rained out, no makeup date announced

High-A Tampa (6-5 loss to Sarasota)
Brett Gardner: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 SB - lowered his BA to .400
Eduardo Nunez: 1 for 4, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 SB
Cody Ehlers: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 K
Tim Battle: 0 for 4, 3 K - just when you thought it couldn't get any uglier...
Ben Himes: 2 for 4, 1 K
Alan Horne: 3 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 4 K - 0-5 GB/FB ratio
Mike Martinez: 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K - 4-1 GB/FB ratio, stranded both inhereted runners
Josh Schmidt: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K

Low-A Charleston (5-0 win over Savannah)
Austin Jackson: 0 for 4, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K
Jose Tabata: 2 for 4, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 K - what'd I say about him yesterday?
Chris Malec: 1 for 4, 1 K - batted cleanup for maybe the first time in his life
Joseph Muich: 2 for 4, 1 2B
Reegie Corona: 2 for 4, 1 R
Estee Harris: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 1 SB
Jason Stephens: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP - 8-3 GB/FB ratio
Wilkins Arias: 4 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K

Sorry my posts have been lacking depth of late, the semester is winding down so that's consuming just about all of my time and attention.
6 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
On the new poll: On April 21st in the Times, Cashman said that Hughes would be promoted soon. I'm guessing they wanted to promote him this week, but with the rain that has swept across the east coast, they ended up having to have him start on Sunday for Tampa, since they likely didn't want him to miss a game

Blogger Mike A said...
Yeah I saw that in the Times. I think he's ready to be bumped up, there's not much left - if anything - for him to prove at Tampa.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
No need to worry. I visit everyday for minor league updates. Finals for me next week too. IGWT is a great distraction (along with countless other blogs).

Blogger Mike A said...
My finals are in 3 weeks, but I've got this wretched organic chemistry class that I'm taking to satisfy a gen-ed requirement. It's brutal, especially since I have no no interest in the subject matter.

One think I forgot to mention with Hughes - I think the Yanks ideal blueprint would be for him to head up to Double-A and stay there for the rest of year and open 2007 in Columbus. He's got a special arm, I think he'll be in the Bronx for good within 16 months...if he stays healthy.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I have finals next week. I go to Boston U (you're probably wondering how I ended up here as a Yankees fans who lived his whole life in NYC), but I'm looking forward to being home and able to catch Yankees games. I love the prospect updates as it's one of the few Yankees blogs that keeps track of the prospects.

Blogger Mike A said...
I hear ya Adam B. Don't even ask how I ended up in Cali after growing up in Brooklyn.

I'm moving back to The City (people here look at me like I have 2 head when I refer to it as "The City", they just don't understand)in less than a month, thank God.

Some rights of this page's plain text stuffs are reserved for the author.
The Template is generated via PsycHo and is Licensed.