In George We Trust
A(nother) blog about the most storied franchise in sports
Saturday, April 15, 2006
A new 12th man
Matt Smith (3.2 IP, 0 H, 2 K at Triple-A) got the call:


"That dress code isn't going to work," [Triple-A manager Dave Miley] told a confused Smith.

"I thought maybe he was a stickler about the dress code being on the road," Smith said. "I said, 'What do you mean?' and he said, 'The dress code is a little different in the big leagues.' I thought he was joking, but I know a manager wouldn't do that to a guy in my situation, who had never been there."

Miley wasn't joking. Smith was recalled by the Yankees before Friday's game in Minnesota, giving New York a 12th arm on the pitching staff. To make room for Smith on the roster, the Yanks designated catcher Koyie Hill for assignment.
...
"First and foremost, I have to get lefties out; being a lefty, that's pretty much what you have to do. I really won't know how they're going to use me until I get out there. Right now, I could care less what they do."

Congrats to Matt for getting the call, nothing like watching a guy finally reach his lifelong dream.

Down on the Farm:

Triple-A Columbus (9-1 loss to Buffalo)
Kevin Thompson: 3 for 4, 2 SB, 1 K
Eric Duncan: 0 for 4, 2 K, 1 E - .097 BA, dropped from 5th to 7th in the order
Matt DeSalvo: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 5 BB, 2 K, 1 WP
Justin Pope: 1 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 1 K

Double-A Trenton (4-0 loss to Connecticut, now 0-9 on the year)
Ramiro Pena: 0 for 4, 3 K
Gabe Lopez: 2 for 4, 1 K
Jorge DePaula: 6 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

High-A Tampa (9-5 win over Dunedin)
Brett Gardner: 3 for 5, 2 R, 1 K, 1 CS
Eduardo Nunez: 2 for 5, 1 3B, 2 RBI, 1 K
Marcos Vechionacci: 2 for 4, 3 R, 1 2B, 1 HBP
Alan Horne: 3.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 7 K

Low-A Charleston (2-1 loss to Columbus)
Austin Jackson: 0 for 2, 1 R, 2 BB, 1 K
Jose Tabata: 2 for 4, 1 RBI
CJ Henry: 0 for 4

Happy Easter everyone, I'll be back Monday.
Some rights of this page's plain text stuffs are reserved for the author.
The Template is generated via PsycHo and is Licensed.